Monday, July 12, 2010

A Squash is Born

My tiny little garden

My small container garden was planted late, and is just now starting to grow and produce vegetables  a vegetable.  One tiny squash has started to grow-what a thing of beauty!
Our container garden consists of one sweet 100 tomato plant in a five gallon bucket, one habanero pepper plant, globe basil in a terra cotta pot, and 4 zucchini plants all in mop buckets from the dollar store.
The plants don't seem to realize they are planted in unusual containers, and are growing right along.
I planted lettuce, basil, yellow summer squash and tomato seeds yesterday . The plants should produce before cold weather, according to the research I've done.  Hoping on that, anyway.
I love love love squash.  I could eat it 3 times a day fresh from the garden (and some days I do!).
So, if the squash continues to grow, I will have 1 in a few days.
I'm excited.

It doesn't take much these days


 .

3 comments:

Average Girl said...

I love spaghetti squash, one of my all time favourites!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Hey, if that's all it takes, I'de say Life is Good! :-) I just picked my first cucumber of the season at This Old House. I'm excited! I know that sounds pathetic.

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

It sounds like you will soon have the makings of my favorite vegetarian spaghetti recipe! If you're getting a lot of hot weather you'll have your tomatoes in no time. We haven't even had any hot weather here at the beach yet so I'm gonna plant my tomatoes end of July. Wish me luck!